John Henry Worner Bailey was born on 26 June 1856 in Woolwich, Kent. He married Annie Johns on 29th October 1878 in Egham, Surrey. Annie was a year younger and was born in Bideford Devon.
The couple had seven children together – Alfred born in 1880 in Egham, May in 1882, Sydney in 1883, Edward in 1885, Frederick in 1888, Harold in 1891 and Ethel in 1901 – all in Berkhamsted.
They lived at 116 High Street and John joined the family jewellery business – Bailey & Sons – which had been established in 1872 in adjoining shop premises at 1 Castle Street – both properties were rented from Miss E.K. Miller. (1 Castle Street is now the home of The Castle hairdressers).
John ran the business continuously until his death in 1923, whereupon his sons took over.
In 1929 they sold the business to the Sparkes family who retained the name of Bailey & Sons. They in turn sold it in 1981 to the Hewitt family, established jewellers in London and Amersham, who subsequently moved premises to Lower Kings Road – where they continue today, still retaining the Bailey name.
John and Annie’s youngest child Ethel was 31 when she died in 1932 and she is buried with them. Ethel had over £1,000 to her name when she died.