The Cemetery was opened in 1842 as a detached churchyard to St Peter’s Church, using land to the rear of Egerton House (where the Rex Cinema now stands) given by Charlotte Catharine Anne, Countess of Bridgewater. It was further extended in 1894 and 1921 and now covers 3.275 acres. The 1842 part was closed in 1976, although a new civic cemetery had already been opened at Kingshill in the 1940’s. This area is managed by Dacorum Borough Council, the Parochial Church Council remaining responsible for the 2 extensions. The Town Council also retains a keen interest in the Cemetery. The churchyard is effectively full, although family graves are occasionally reopened for additional interments of bodies or cremated remains. The whole cemetery remains under the control of the incumbent of St Peter’s subject to the overriding control of the bishop’s consistory court.