7 September 2015
Both St. Peter’s Church and Rectory Lane Cemetery feature in this year’s programme for Heritage Open Days.
St Peter’s Church was consecrated in 1222, probably the second largest church in the county, reflecting the importance of the wool trade at the time. Many interesting tombs showing the importance of the castle and families who influenced the history of the town. The Court House is Tudor and was where courts of common pleas were heard and weights and measures checked. It housed the National School in the 19th century and is now used as a church hall. Church has many interesting memorials and two windows dedicated to the poet William Cowper, whose father was Rector here. Event not suitable for children under the age of 7.
A small exhibition depicts the history of the cemetery, the links with St Peter’s Church, Victorian attitudes to funerals, deaths and mourning. WWI memorials and links with local people. Also possibilities for future developments. See the progress of the project since last September.Guided tours, trails with different themes, Special activities for children. Help with genealogy enquiries. ‘Find a Grave’. There will be opportunities to voice opinion as to future developments of this little-known and neglected peaceful open place. Event not suitable for children under the age of 6. A ‘treasure hunt’ type quiz is available for children and adults alike !